Friday, March 24, 2006

"I'm glad I didn't die before I met you."


Getting married is hard to do.

I mean, there's the whole finding a person. Then the whole waiting around until the person stops dragging his feet. Then the whole nervous "Will he ask me?" moments, and the drunken, quasi-deep conversations about what you, you know man, want out of life. Then the will-he-or-won't-he phase. I'm not saying those were my experiences. Ha. Just an observation.

And my best friend decided this would be a good idea. Yeah -- my friend since I was 11, my college roommate. Gettin' married. Oh yeah.

And this adds a whole new dimension to my life. OK, not really. But it is exciting to have someone else to talk about the merits of ivory versus off white versus white. The "we want to be different" touches that inevitably, because of cost and laziness, turn into the "everyone else is doin' it" moments.

And I mean that in a good way. I need someone else to tell me we can't always get our way. Or, just let me complain about it, and then we laugh and move on.

I mean, I'm going to have to accept the fact that Dave doesn't want to dance to "First Day of My Life."* And she'll have to accept that he's a teacher and, sigh ... that means she should probably get married in the summer. The hot, sweaty, muggy, miserable Ohio summers. Ha. I mean, the beautiful summer light. Glass half full.

(*Read: Dave will learn to love it. How can you not love that song? "This is the first day of my life ... I'm glad I didn't die before I met you." Nothing says romance like mentioning death. Wait a minute ...)

(Photo: Ring by Tiffany's. I mean, her fiance is a teacher; I'm sure it's from Tiffany's.)

2 comments:

Krista said...

I'll take one of those, please.

And, that is a FABULOUS song. Dave, you will love it, or your wedding is off.

Love, Krista.

Kate said...

This may be weird, but it's such a coincidence. My aunt is having a wedding in Wisconsin and I wanted to memorize her song...so I google-searched "This is the first day of my life" and it came up with your page. She's using the same song and the wedding's in Wisconsin next week. Sorry, I had to say something. :)