Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Huh. I guess I live here now.


My cousin stopped in Oshkosh tonight.

No, really. He's from Ohio, too; he's a year older than I am, and when we were younger we used to take family vacations with each other's family. One year it was Chicago. One it was North Carolina. One it was the Ohio State Fair. When we were really young, I used to chase him and be chased around the basement of my grandma and grandpa's house.

Then, we grew up, and went to different high schools, etc. And now he's living in Chicago. He had work to do in Appleton and Berlin, so he was spending the night in Oshkosh tonight.

Dave and I went with the safe route (because we're lame, I guess): We took him to The Bar for 25-cent wings. If we were in college, we also would've celebrated with some drinks and some karaoke (OK, no karaoke); but we're old and boring now. It was a Wednesday. I have to work the next day. So does he. We sat there and talked and it was awesome and strange seeing someone from back home sitting across from me at MY bar.

But then it was over, and I went home, and he went to his hotel. I got in my car with the Wisconsin license plates and drove all the way home without thinking about how I get home. I thought about work and blogged, and watched my one channel with Dave and listened to the dryer running and am about to go to bed early. I'm really aware of my Wisconsin status at the moment. Like, this is my life. Whoa.

And all I have to show for all this deep thinking is heartburn. Dang.

(Photo: thepostcard.com.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you also have the dreaded G.E.R.D.

BlackAndy said...

Hey Erin -

Next time you have someone to entertain from out of town on a Wednesday, take them by Jabroni's for the open mic. Seriously.

-blackandy