Saturday, March 25, 2006

Facebook's creepy.


Facebook's supposed to be this place where you meet friends, and add friends, and post comments and photos ... But in all actuality, it's kinda lame.

I mean, Facebook only lets you look at profiles of people who went to your school. It has one static look to all the profiles, and you can't like, blog or anything on it. However, while logged into it today, I found this trends tracker thing. It's kind of creepy.

There's a top 10 list: Your school is on one side, and the national average of Facebook users is on the other. The top 10 catagories are split up into movies, books, interests, clubs, organizations, etc. I guess you're supposed to see how cool your school is compared to everyone else.

Then, you can compare the biggest "movers" at your school. Down five points this week is "My Name is Earl." Up two points: "Beer pong." Down three points: "The Breakfast Club." Up 14 points: "Kroger." Kroger. The grocery store chain. A grocery store chain just jumped 14 points under the "clubs and organizations" catagory at the University of Toledo. Unless there's a Kroger club I'm not aware of. I have been living out of state for what? Six months.

It's creepy because you list what you like and don't like on your profile, and it magically collects all that data. I can think of weirder things. But the real weird thing is that I care -- I just spent 10 minutes reading through it all.

This is the best Saturday ever.

(Kroger: Up 14 points this week at the University of Toledo. Woo hoo!)

No comments: