Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Don't act like you're not interested.


We've been working on some stuff at work that's been keeping me a bit busy, but it's exciting. I'm still young enough to think it's exciting, anyhow. It's like working at the college newspaper, only cooler because you get paid more, you don't have to work until 4 a.m. and your stuff is neater looking. No offense, Independent Collegian. You're pretty neat, but ...

Anyhow. So, neat stuff. Specialty publications, Oshkosh Magazine ... It's cool, because I feel needed, and that means I like it, and that means I don't notice I miss Ohio. It's a win-win situation. For right now. But eventually, years from now, USA Today will beg me to move to McLean, Va., to take over Whitney's job. And when I take Whitney's job (for one, I'll get to meet cooler people than that Dashboard guy), that's when I'll feel really needed.

Because as much as people love their local news ... who didn't read about Tom and Katie's baby and the placenta and the shhhh birth? I know I did. Many times. There was an "urgent" bulletin on the wire: AP: Tom Cruise's manager has reported blah blah blah.", then updates all night last night, and all day today. It was crazy. I mean, sure, they're an odd couple, sure Scientology's weird, and sure it seems like Katie's been pregnant for at least two years, but 18 stories on the placenta-eating Tom and his (ew) kitten? Oh, wait, he didn't mean that. Right.

And who else could bring you such news as the Bird Flu movie, unsexy men and photos like this.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

(Photo: Bird flu, from etm.freshegg.com)

No comments: