Monday, May 22, 2006

Who are those guys? Beach Boys what?


Since I'm sure you already know The Beach Boys are coming to EAA's AirVenture this summer, I thought it was only appropriate to post this link, courtesy of Pop Candy, of like, 13 different versions of "God Only Knows" covers.

I'm sure the majority of my readers are Beach Boys fans. Closet Beach Boys fans? Vaguely remember a made-for-TV movie about them? Know of a Beach Boys fan? I think my dad is ... But I'm not sure. Ha. I am kidding, guys.

I so know who they are. They're the ones who did that song for NBC's "The '70s," right? Kidding again.

But, as an aside, if someone were to show me this photo of the Beach Boys, I would have guessed it to be a photo of a golf outing at a seniors home in Florida. Seriously. Look at those guys' tans. And could they have any more patterned shirts? I know you're the Beach Boys, but coooome ooon. It's like someone dug through the 50-cent bin at the thrift store for those shirts.

OK, enough knocking of the Beach Boys. Sorry, Beach Boys. I apologize. American music staple, classic pop, timeless oldies, etc. Sorry. No disrespect. Word.

This is getting out of hand.

Anyhow, Pop Candy likes the Mandi Moore/Michael Stipes version of the cover. I recommend David Bowie, as well, because he's so opposite of the "quintessential American band." Dude, Bowie, you're so British, and you don't look like the beach bum/surfer/totally groovy type. But I bet Bowie does have a few pattern shirts to wear. With matching orange hair ... Don't listen to Phantom Planet's version, unless you like crappy music. It's a minute and a half you'll never get back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Beach Boys are Americas Original Band.

It is truely remarkable that Brian Wilson is the only remaining Wilson brother to be alive.

Dennis and Carl are both gone.

Even more remarkable is that there are no Wilson brothers in the current touring "Beach Boys" band.

Mike Love an original member teams up with Bruce Johnston to lead the on-tour group.

Another member of the original Beach Boys, Al Jarden tours with another group known as "Beach Boys Family and Friends"

No matter...the Beach Boy harmonies and lyrics are timeless, and I'm certain everyone who hears a Beach Boy song recalls with affection a summer long ago, when they were young and living the Endless Summer.

Rock on Beach Boys!