Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Please excuse our dust


I've got a whole new predicament this weekend. We're getting a visitor ... but I won't be here.

Duhn, duhn, duhn. Where are "Unsolved Mysteries" and Robert Stack now??!

It's my soon-to-be mother-in-law. No mystery. She's cooooming. On a jet plane. Flying in and landing when I hope (fingers crossed, my friends) to be somewhere crossing the Illinois state line. (Fingers crossed meaning I hope I get to leave work, not I hope I miss her. I like her, guys.)

But still -- it's like when my mom came. The apartment can't be dirty. Oh, my god -- and my fiance has to keep the place clean all by himself? I cannot completely feel comfortable about him not burning the place down by leaving the oven on or something, let alone keep it clean. Oh, my.

Before my mom came, I was dusting, vacuuming, doing laundry, sweeping, cleaning the bathrooms ... I went pretty crazy. Can't let Mom think I don't take care of my own apartment. Now, I feel an obligation to have the place be even cleaner, but I can't really say I've got that kind of time this week. I've got a lot of work to do ... I want to sneak out of work early Friday. I want to sleep at night. I want to blog. Ha.

But I want the place to smell like lemons and Pine Sol ... And I don't even have Pine Sol ... Wait. There it is. Yes I do. Make that read "Apparently I've not used that bottle since college."

Cleaning, not cleaning, tusting him to clean ... What a conundrum. And I don't even think she'll mind. She's not like that. But I am like that. If I had time, I'd get an ulcer over it. But, let's face it, I'm just not going to get around to worrying like that. It'll be Monday, and I'll come home to a dirty apartment, and remember that I forgot to worry.

(Photo: Funkyfridge.com.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

erin- it's the dreaded m-i-l. please understand that while i am sad that i will not see you this w/end, i so know the delight your mom will have in your visit home. not to mention your friends.
me, i am visiting my son, and plan to spend time w/him, enjoying 'his world', that being oshkosh, jazz clubs (i hope)and just being together. i will have no desire or time to critique your apartment or your cleaning habits, remember i lived w/david for 19yrs- i know your pain...(sorry dave). i think he still has socks under his bed in ohio, haha. so really, erin, enjoy your visit home, say hi to the fam for me, and i will see you another time soon.
lub
the mil