Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Erin's favorite novel is ... not "The Da Vinci Code"


Let's talk "The Da Vinci Code" for a moment, shall we?

The movie comes out Friday, the books are still selling faster than hotcakes (who calls them hotcakes in real life, anyhow), and I've still not read it.

Why? Because I've not gotten around to it, I suppose. Maybe. I read a lot, the library is my best friend. But I just never got around to it ... Now, I feel like if I were to pick it off a bookshelf, I'd just be part of the 27 slackers who haven't read it.

That, and in true nerd fashion, I want to wait 'til it's not cool anymore until I start liking it. Ha. I'm half kidding.
Consider this:

May 16, 8:44 PM EDT
'The Da Vinci Code' Just Keeps on Selling

NEW YORK (AP) -- If the pace of book sales predicts a movie's success, then "The Da Vinci Code" is a certain smash.

In less than two months, Dan Brown's blockbuster thriller has sold nearly 3 million copies in paperback as anticipation grows for the film, starring Tom Hanks and coming out Friday. An original printing of 5 million, the highest in recent memory for a paperback, has been raised to 6.3 million.

Since the hardcover was released in March 2003 the novel has sold 60 million copies worldwide. All of those books form a bulk great enough, according to the publisher, to cover all of Chicago in paper or outweigh 90 Boeing 747 jumbo jets.


Holy crap.

Will I go see the movie? Maybe. When it comes out on DVD, most likely. Not only am I a reading slacker, I'm also cheap. Though I love Audrey Tautou -- she was in "Amelie," one of my favorite movies. And Tom Hanks ... can't complain about him.

I've got a few more thoughts on the matter, but I think I'm gonna save it for my Sunday column. I've got questions bigger than a blog can answer.

(Photo: deseretnews.com)

No comments: