Monday, June 26, 2006

Want to sleep on my couch? Well, you can't, because we don't have one.


Here's a happy thought: we're all so alone.

According to Duke University Professor Lynn Smith-Lovin, we're all lonely, many of us have zero close friends, and work and marrying late may be to blame.

Frankly, it's kind of scary, and a bit sad. Therefore, I am not going to work tomorrow. I have some interpersonal relationships to work on.

I would have thought that IM, text messaging and e-mails would make people more connected; I talk to my friends more often. But no. No, apparently my "what's up" messages don't count.

Smith-Lovin (I'm so sure part of her last name is "Lovin") says that doesn't count as friendship. Nope. "It's one thing to know someone and exchange e-mails with them. It's another thing to say, 'Will you give me a ride out of town with all of my possessions and pets? And can I stay with you for a couple or three months?" Smith-Lovin said. Great. Now I'm depressed. WAY TO GO, SMITH-LOVIN(').

I guess I don't really ever ask anyone to let me sleep on their couch anymore. And I don't have a couch. Maybe that's my problem.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I coundn't agree more.
People work too much. The recient rounds of downsizing mean that people who at one time had EARNED 4,5,6 weeks of vacation are now forced to start all over again with maybe 1 or 2 weeks.
Another way corporate America is trying to eliminate the middleclass way of life.

We need a system which provides basic healthcare and a moderate amount of time off (paid or unpaid) to each full time working American. Most people I know would choose time off (unpaid) if given the opportunity.

People need time away from work to enjoy family, friends and life.

Anonymous said...

Well I know you (oh what the heck, and Dave too) have at least ONE close friend ... ME!
I would be more than happy to give you a ride out of your town and into mine again. And not let you leave. Ever again. And you can stay with me as long as you want. Finally I'll have a friend within seven hours away from me!

Anonymous said...

miss erin frances-
when are you going to pretend shop via the internet again?
i miss being drawn to target's web site via your blog. how will i know if they have cute purses if you don't check? huh?
and does blog-stalking count as friendship?
oh, and i have a job. the kind where i work in a newsroom. i'm pretty happy about that, even though the pay sucks.