Sunday, June 11, 2006

Here's to being a Niese. Or, to not being a Niese.


No one'd asked me really, if I were going to keep my name, or take Dave's last name when we get married in October. That is, until a few weeks ago. Now, everyone wants to know.

I'd kind of grown up thinking "Niese" was only temporary, but now I'm not sure. I still haven't decided, so I wrote a column about it, and you can read it here.

I'm leaning toward taking his name. And, no, it's not because of our miracle wedding classes we had to take.

I still may change my mind. I don't know. Dang, man, don't pressure me.

Speaking of setting the womens movement back, here's a funny drawing from our friends at Married to the Sea that I found appropriate after all this talk of "his" and "mine." I don't think voting and my last name are on the same level, but ... laugh, nonetheless, please.

(Dude, I've warned you before: They get a bit potty-mouthed at times (not hard-core no-no words, but the kind you'd feel funny about saying too loudly in a church). Don't say I didn't warn you.)

1 comment:

Deloris said...

Before I got married, I said to my husband that I would take his name. Closer to the wedding I changed my mind and decided to hyphenate. I went with the hyphenation because I already established myself as a photographer with my maiden name and my dad passed away so I wanted to keep a part of him with me.

Hyphenating is not for everyone. My name is very long and when signing my name on checks I run out of space, but I'm glad I went with it.

Deloris Clark-Osborne