Thursday, February 16, 2006

Wintery memories ... sigh.


So -- surprise! It snowed in Wisconsin today. Whoa.

How did TV news handle it? Like dorks. According to NBC 26, based in Green Bay, "the blizzard of 2006 will be remembered by everyone for years to come." I bet I should have written that in all caps: "The BLIZZARD OF 2006 will be remembered by EVERYONE for YEARS to come." (Nodding at co-anchor, screen switches to shot of someone shoveling, back to anchor, more nodding by the co-anchor, over to the meteorologist, who nods and says "Yup, we got some snow. Details in 10 minutes," back to anchor, cue music "Next, see how one local resident blah blah blah ...")

Don't overgeneralize, NBC. Ugh, I've got goosebumps just thinking about how nerdy that sounds. I'm embarrassed to have heard that. See, when people say they hate the media, I don't think they really think we're biased. Nope. I think they mean they hate phrases like "the blizzard of 2006 will be remembered by everyone for years to come."

That said, Oshkosh didn't get the predicted 12 inches. We got 7. It's OK, though. It's still seven times the amount of snowfall we had in January.

But no amount of snow, not even 7 inches, can make me feel better about those pesky winter memories. Going down the hill on a sled, and crashing into the chain-lined fence at the bottom. Sticking my tongue to the aluminum door at Grandma's. Not having power for hours, and having to heat up Spaghettios on a kerosene heater. Burning my fingers on a kerosene heater. Sigh. Good old days? Oh, god. Right.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not hung up on my childhood. It was good. But, aside from making snowmen, I'm more of a window-watcher than I am an active participant. I love snow from a distance. Skiing? Are you kidding? Pffhst. I'll be inside.

(P.S. The fiance took some pictures of Oshkosh today. So, Ohioans, this is what snow in Wisconsin looks like. White and cold.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Firefox, I can bookmark your blog so it shows the topics in the toolbar. How SWEET! Anyway, it is 75 here today, almost on the verge of hot =)