Monday, February 27, 2006

"I am trying to break your heart ... I'd be lying if I said it wasn't easy."



So the weekend was good. Had some drinks with friends in Appleton Friday for the fiance's birthday. Watched as the music snob tried to get a confession out of a crowd of Backstreet-Boy-ballad-lovin' people (seriously, though, who puts on sappy music in a bar? And who even has Babyface on the brain in 2006? Who? I want names).

And Saturday, we lived like rock stars. As in, made no plans. Opened his presents. Got pizza. Etc. No one cares about all that crap. I won't bore you with the details.

Except one. I'm such a cool fiancee; I got him "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart," the film about Wilco. It's not new (2002, right before "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" came out), and it's your typical band video, but I love it. I mean, he loves it. That's why he got it. Right. (Come on, like I was going to get him something I didn't want to watch, too.)

And anyone who doesn't like Wilco doesn't have a soul. OK, maybe that's harsh. Whatever.

But that started the (one-sided, mostly dream-sequence-ish) discussion of my fiance actually being in a rock band. How many guys have this dream? Or girls for that matter? Who wouldn't want 200,000 screaming fans? Well, not that I don't already have that. Kidding. I topped 1 million last week. Kidding. Gosh.

But he's got a few obstacles. One, being me. He just got a second job. There's no time to play.

And, perhaps the most important questions of all: can he sing? No. But he tries. Can he write songs? Well, he did once, about me cleaning the bathroom, to the tune of cats being thrown down stairs (not that I endorse cats being thrown down stairs, sickos): "Erin's cleeeeeaning the bathrooooom, Eeeerrin's cleeeeaning the bathrooooom, Yessss she iiiiiiiissssss cleeeeeanning the baaaaaaaaaaaAAAAthrOOOOOOm." It's a hit in nine countries.

Can he play instruments? Um. Guitar, I guess. I've never heard him play. Has he been in a band before? I don't think so. But he can wear a jacket, girl jeans and a scarf like the best of them. Well, I suppose he's on his way. I think he's kinda serious about this. Well. I guess he was serious about taking out trash, too, and that's still sitting in front of the door. I could be dating a rock star ... Interesting.

(Photos: Top, from "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart," on popmatters.com; the bottom's my CD cover.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This brings to mind so many Jeff Tweedy memories that I can't share with you because they all involve my Kansas friends who are obsessed with him and Wilco and you wouldn't understand any of them.

But I'll leave you with one: JJ Hensley looks like Jeff Tweedy.

MWGirl said...

I took a WHOLE CLASS about Jeff Tweedy's poetry/music in college. You obviously would have loved it with all your heart.