Sunday, February 12, 2006

The way to my heart: a VHS tape and no fancy dinner.


I found this kinda-cool buy-sell media place nearby, and all of my Valentine's Day dreams came true. Mega Media Xchange, in Appleton. I'm over the whole flowers thing. Instead, I wanted movies, and I wanted to pick them out. Nothing spells romance like watching Woody Allen get his neurotic heart broken again. Chocolates can't even come close to bringing that kind of joy.

What I was searching for: "Annie Hall." But the trip ended up being more fruitful than that. The good news is, the movies I got didn't cost more than $1.99 each, because I got them on VHS (a dying art form, if you ask me). (It should be noted that I only like VHS now because they're cheap and come with "totally tubular" previews: on one, I got a preview for something that was coming to theatres in 1984. I was like, teething. Awesome.)

Luckily, I've got a fiance who understands where my feelings lie: in the "Bee kind rewind" stickers with -- how clever -- little bees on them, and in not getting dressed up to go out to some meal where there is no macaroni & cheese just because it's Valentine's Day. I may be coupled up, but I don't push for the overtly romantic stuff. Unless you call pizza romantic. I do. But I'm probably the only one. So while you're out eating your fancy dinner, we're eating off paper plates on the floor, watching "Annie Hall." And I like it.

Oh, and speaking of undying romance and lots of sea water, there are still four VHS copies of the Leo and Kate "Titanic" left there, and one of "A Night to Remember," the 1950s version of "Titanic." Not that I was looking. But ... uh, I saw it. And no I didn't buy "Titanic."

P.S., Other movies they have that you didn't know you needed, but will probably go buy immediately upon reading this because of their cheesiness factor alone: "Risky Business," and "Footloose."

No comments: