Saturday, February 4, 2006

Best five days ever, minus Monday.

Tonight is round two of four for the fantastic extended weekend. Extended meaning Monday will still be horrible, but it's Tuesday Eve, which is Wesley night.

So far this weekend, I've seen Titanic stuff, a crappy, horrible, awful jam band (I've gotten yelled at enough this week, so I won't reveal who they are, short of saying there's only one way my seeing live music in Wisconsin can go -- up), and am about to see "Play it Again, Sam," a Woody Allen movie.

This has been the best weekend so far of my entire Wisconsin life.

But no, I still don't like "jam bands." They bring out the type of people who take off their shoes in a bar and let down their 6-feet-long hair to dance like they're Janis Joplin wannabes, they get mullet-haired guys to dance like they did when it really was Jimi singing "Watch tower," and they play for-ev-er. (Shudder.) As a friend said, jam bands remind us that "oh, yeah, the '90s did suck."

The good part? We were hanging out with new friends. And friends of friends. I'm talking big stuff. Inside jokes, good music in between sets of the jam band, and conversations that aren't your usual "Uh, so what do you do?" type. Yesss. Outside of the music, it was awesome. And, despite what it sounded like, it felt like Ohio to go see live music. Yesss again.

And Titanic -- go see it. Now. This version is the smaller version of the one that the Cincinnati Museum had a few years ago (for all of you who heard me talk about going to see that one with my dad and stepmom), and yet it still packs a punch, and you still get boarding passes of real passengers, whose name you check at the end of the tour to see if you lived or died.

Mine was Mrs. Elin Hakkarainen, who was 24 and traveling with her -- er, uh, I mean my -- husband from Helsinki, Finland to find economic and political freedom in Pennsylvania. Third class. Eek. He died. I must have been good lookin' or lucky, 'cuz I made it.

The only thing I wish they had had at the museum (which was included among the museum's photos, but wasn't anywhere that I saw) was the replica ice berg. In Cincinnati, it took up a whole wall, and you got to stand there and see how long you could stand touching it. It was the exact same temperature as the water the night the Titanic sank. Creepy.

So, yes. Go see it.

And tonight, it gets better. We're going to Appleton for my friend's birthday with our new friends (believe it, man). Tomorrow, chicken wings and some lame football game. Monday will be Monday. Tuesday, Wesley. Wisconsin, you may be cold and windy, but you rock right now.

No comments: