Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Call me shallow, but ...


I'm not watching the Grammys. If you know me at all, you know it's because I don't have CBS. Would I be watching the Grammys? Are you kidding? Do I appear that shallow?

I do?

Well. Um. I wouldn't be watching. Nope. I'm a 21st century Grammy watcher. Make that awards-show watcher. I'm just watching the highlights on the Web (my favorite and yours, Pop Candy and her play-by-play updates. "Hello? USA Today? Hi, it's Erin from the Oshkosh Northwestern. Can I please have her job? I can start tomorrow. OK, thanks.").

I get to miss all the annoying "And I'd like to thank"s, and I don't have to listen to music I don't want to hear (my confession: I loathe Madonna, and thus, missing her is like a gift from the Internet). Thank you, Al Gore.

That said, the Grammys are my favorite awards show. Music is more interesting to me than movies (the last movie I saw in a theatre: The Incredibles. That's right, ladies and gents, a children's movie. In 2004. Oh, God. I just proved how uncool I am. But ... but wait! Come back! I watch Focus films! I watch movies from the Criterion collection! Hello? Anyone?

OK, fine, so I know music -- OK, not like my music snob fiance (I say that in the nicest way possible), or Steve (yeah, I mean it in a nice way for Steve, too). I take it personally when Kelly Clarkson wins or loses (for the record, "Since U Been Gone" just won). I took it personally. So what if this is a big deal to me. Call me shallow. I can take it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I kind of had to watch the Grammys. But only to know when it was over, so I didn't really pay attention.

Oh, I updated Design Up Front.