Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Calling all cooks. Just this once.



This isn't a food blog, mainly because I hate food and cooking. But, for the sake of Dave and I and our entire relationship, I think I need to ask this question:

Does anyone have a good macaroni and cheese recipe?

I think he's starting to catch on that I'm not joking when I say I could eat it every day. Mainly because I do. I figure if I can get different recipes, everyone wins. He gets to cook something other than Kraft. I get to eat macaroni.

And no one gets to copy and paste the recipe from today's Oshkosh Northwestern and call it "sending Erin a recipe." I put that recipe on the page. I got that one. Smart alecks.

Also, I did some math. If I ate macaroni and cheese on average about three times a week (because as a child, it was more like one or two, and now it's like, five), give or take a few, I have eaten almost 4,000 boxes of it in my lifetime. I have no idea if I did that math right. But it sounds good.

(Photo: me, eating box No. 340 of macaroni, and why don't I have this shirt?)

6 comments:

Deloris said...

The Toledo Blade has a story about macaroni and a recipe for baked macaroni online today. When I read it, I thought of you and your love of macaroni.

MWGirl said...

What you'll need:

3 eggs
3/4 cup of sour cream
2 cups of grated cheese (or more if you're like me)
4 tablespoons of butter
a few tablespoons of chili powder (if you like)
a few drops of hot sauce (if you like)
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
4 cups elbow macaroni noodles

Boil and salt water and cook the macaroni noodles.

Beat eggs and mix together with sour cream and butter. Add in shredded cheese and coat with mixture. Salt and pepper to taste. Strain noodles and add in the cheesy mixture. Top with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake in oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

It is really good. I've made it a lot of times.

Anonymous said...

I use yogurt & olive oil instead of butter and milk.

A little hot sauce never hurts.

Erin said...

That sounds delicious! I'm going to try that one. :)

Anonymous said...

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

For the macaroni and cheese:

2 cups (8 ounces) elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces American, colby, or
cheddar cheese, (grate 1 cup and
thinly slice the rest)
For the crumb topping:
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup dried bread or salted cracker
crumbs
Cook's note: For a creamy macaroni and cheese, do not use low-fat cheese.
To prepare the macaroni and cheese: Cook macaroni as directed. Melt butter over low heat and stir in flour to form a smooth paste (roux). Add milk gradually, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper and grated cheese and cook until thickened. Mix with macaroni. Place half of macaroni in a greased baking dish, layering with half of the sliced cheese; repeat with remaining half of macaroni and sliced cheese.
To prepare the crumb topping: In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter or margarine. Stir in bread or cracker crumbs. Spoon crumb mixture over macaroni and cheese. Make at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Source: Kathie Smith

Stacie Penney said...

I love mac and cheese this way, but it was thought up prior to the Velveeta boxes.

Boil appropriate amount of noodle shape of choice. While cooking, cut some velveeta cheese into cubes. Amount and size varies by mood. After the noodles are drained, add velveeta cubes and a small amount a milk. Stir enough to mix cheese throughout, but not enough to melt completely (so the cubes are softened, but retain their cube shape.)