Sunday, February 19, 2006

Best advice I'll ever be able to post for you.


I could take advice from my mom and stepdad. I could take advice from a friend. From my soon-to-be inlaws, or from some lady in the checkout line at the grocery store.

But I'm going to take my advice from "Teen Guide to Married Life," copyright 1989, found in the "free" box at a community rummage sale.

Questions I was having that "Teen Guide" answered for me:

1. How big of a decision is getting married?

Example

2. Will what my dad think influence my marriage? And why are Uncle Norbert's, Uncle Bob's and Uncle Rick's heads cut off?

Example

3. Could my "Sex appeal" hat cause my fiance to doubt me, and then hug someone (or something furry) at a table full of empty drinks, symbolizing empty promises, while I stare off into space?

Example

Now, I'll take questions from the audience about what I learned about marriage:
1. "Does age make a difference?"
Yes. (Direct quote from the book) "Jane is 16. Howard is 40. The age difference may not seem to matter now, but how about in 20 years?" (You mean when Howard gets out of prison for being with a minor?)

2. "Why get married at all?"
Because people who just shack up lose out. (Direct quote from the book) "If a couple who have been 'living together' separate, the woman may not be entitled to anything except some support for their children. She could have helped furnish a home, may have cooked and washed and ironed, raised their children and given up her job. In these days of 'sexual equality,' she will have allowed herself to become dependent and helpless."

3. "How can I protect my spouse against financial hardship if I die?"
You get life assurance (sic).

4. "How should we manage money?"
I don't know. But "It is worth shopping around to find the account in a bank or building society which meets your needs. And don't be frightened of bank managers." Because they are all scary, scary men? What?

And, finally, 5. "What if we have an unplanned situation?"
"Not all pregnancies are planned. ... We do not plan to have a baby who never sleeps, a hyperactive toddler or a teenager who takes drugs. Nor do we plan to be ill, unemployed (or) divorced. But these things can happen."

2 comments:

Sassy said...

Where was this when I was getting married?

Steve Kabelowsky said...

The pic with question No. 3 is precious.