Thursday, September 27, 2007

They don't have bowls of soup so I get two cups; what's it to you


I won a gift certificate at work because I knew some random, too-stupid-for-"Jeopardy!" trivia question. The certificate bought me two cups of the best tomato soup I've ever had in my life, a glass of red wine and a whole hour-and-then-some with my husband.

In a row. An hour-and-then-some in a row.

I should've tipped that waitress more for being so slow with our service. This was me tonight, getting off the couch, NOT watching NBC, not reading some french-fry-for-the-brain book, not breaking in the middle cushion on the couch in sweat pants. This was me in public. This was new to us.

Two nights in a row of Outness. Wednesday we watched the Brewers game with a real, live, breathing friend at a real, actual bar.

Tonight, date night, baby. Water City Grill-ing it.

It was incredible. We had a tiny seat by the window, we had sweater weather, I had wine, he had his tea (workin' man, ya know), we had our paid-for meal ... Sometimes I forget how much I like Dave (half-kidding), til I'm with him alone, in a situation where I don't have to hear "I don't know, what do yoooou want for dinner?"

Cuz I swear, that line will ruin my marriage.

And as we sat there and reprimanded each other for bringing up work, it reminded me of our honeymoon. We had a little restaurant in Quebec where we had meal vouchers for five nights, and we were the only two people in the whole place, for all we cared. Oshkosh, ya still feel that way to me, too. Strange, aggravating, a little exciting.

I just don't go in places and expect to see anyone I know. Tonight, it was actually kind of nice that way.

Photo: Honeymoon, Dave ... le sigh.

No comments: