Saturday, September 8, 2007

People pick me to be on their Trivial Pursuit teams, but I was always one of the last chosen for anything in gym class

I didn't think it was going to be this bad again ... Dragonboating. But it was. And it was worse.

Last year, Dave and I missed the practice because of that marriage license overnight trip to Ohio. So the shock of spending 10 minutes in a boat three times on race day wasn't as bad as the 50-minute "PADDLES UP," "We'll do sets of eight-twelve-five" practice The Northwestern's dragonboat team had today.

At the 30 minute mark, the only thing that kept me from jumping ship and swimming to shore and running away and never coming back was the green stuff and the taste of that water as it splashed in my mouth. I felt a bit trapped. I forgot the claustrophobic feeling I had last year in the boat, as if I were stuck and the only way out was a wet, gross mess.

But anyhow. I didn't freak out over anxiety this time (hi, prescription drugs work! Side effects may include dry mouth and signing up for a second year of dragonboating). Nope. Just sore muscles and utter annoyance of hearing "OK, let's do it again."

I have to say, too, that I was slightly loving being in the front of the boat this year, though they kept saying the paddlers had to watch me and my seatmate for rhythm. Dude, I have no rhythm. But, whatever. Leadership, see? I'll put that moment on my resume someday: "Co-led team of 22 amateur dragonboat paddlers under extreme duress."

But you know? I'd do it again. Which is good, since we have to do it again at the real dragonboat races in two weeks. It's fun, I say through gritted teeth because my muscles hurt and I'm exhausted.

And this time? We won against the other team that was practicing. Did you read that right? WE WON. It's not often any team I'm involved with in any athletic shape or form is associated with the word "winning." And even though it didn't count, I'm still quite pleased with my ability to not-die on the water to accomplish that.

No comments: