Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Preview of coming distractions

Now that the Waterfest lineup's out (however disappointed I am that the Gin Blossoms won't be back ... dang*) and it's getting warmer for Gallery Walks and we have a grill for when I don't want to go out -- I'm getting a bit antsy. Bad music aside, it's still something to do, being outside, downtown, out with friends ending this self-imposed "bad weather, bad mood" exile.

That is getting old.

Now I'm growing impatient at April and May, yet at the same time I know when June comes, I'll have something to do almost every weekend. Then I'll be hiding under the couch -- too many people? That doesn't do Erin any good at all. Much like speaking in the third person.

But that's a new feeling from Friday, when Dave and I were sitting on the deck.

"This is awesome, with the grill and the sunshine," I said, eating a hamburger because that's how American we are. The apple pie was in the oven (at Pick 'n Save).

"Yeah it is."

Three minutes of silence.

"It's too quiet. I wish we had friends," Dave said, laughing.

"Yeah. That'd be neat."

Three more minutes of silence. If you added in a set of dentures, a flyswatter, orthopaedic inserts and Geritol, you'd be looking at Erin and Dave: 2079. It was a scary six minutes.

Yes. Summer needs to be here right now. I don't look good in Velcro shoes with inserts.


*Though, seriously, so what if I only remember one song Smash Mouth had? (It was that one ... that walking on the sun thing? Right?) Anyhow, Waterfest nights will probably still be more fun than the other Thursday nights of the year. Woot, woot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU DO HAVE FRIENDS!! Hello?!?!? Remember me, Erika? From Ohio??? MISS YOU GUYS!!!!

klhp said...

I totally get this. My new hubby and I live in the sticks in PA. We're new. We often talk about how we wish we had friends.

It's hard to meet people in the sticks. They don't come out of their houses.