Sunday, April 15, 2007

Had to stop to blog before I got the urge to vacuum in high heels

I don't know why, but I had the urge to sew these last few weeks. Somewhere, Grandma Schroeder is beaming with pride that -- finally! -- her middle daughter's child picked up where Mom left off. I've got more of a feeling of confusion. As in, here I hold this pattern, where shall I go from here, and omigod, I remember how to thread this bobbin. And I remembered that it's called a bobbin.

Oh, dear God.

I took two years of home ec in high school and actually, surprisingly, I liked it. But after I was done with my final project (a pair of red and gray boxer shorts that I wore about three times -- blame the unisex, unflattering pattern), I meant to forget all that.

But, here I am, about to make a skirt. I'll let you know how it goes. Unless it doesn't go anywhere, in which case I'll be over here, embarrassed.

Oh, and to top it all off, I baked cookies tonight. What is this, 1950? Dave's at work and I'm baking cookies and sewing. What's next, darning socks? I've got to go vote or own property or something; I'm feeling really out of touch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you ready to join the Martha Stewart fan club? I am sooo proud, cookies and sewing. Let me know when you're ready to take up cross stitching and I'll be right there.

love you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

If only we could get you to do more house work and make me a sandwich or two once in a while ............


ps. don't worry. I'll prepare the couch when I get home.

Anonymous said...

I just need to make sure MY mom doesn't read this! She's been trying to continue "teaching" me to cook her recipes for years! I keep telling her that I'm quite capable of making dinner...it just involves a cell phone and take-out menu! I am, however, always impressed when other people are good at cooking and sewing. Kudos to you! Donna Reed would be proud!