Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Moving on to "stay," since "roll over" isn't happening

The only thing more frustrating than a Tuesday is a Tuesday full of teaching a puppy to "stay." How do you teach a dog to stay? Seriously. If anyone looked in the window tonight, they'd see me pleading with a 8-month-old puppy, who's got the "sit" thing down, but just can't stay sitting.

Big, sit. Sit. Good. Now stay. Stay. Sit. Yes, NO, stay. (Putting his butt back on the floor while pointing to him.) Stay. (Backing away.) Stay, good boy -- no, stop, stay. Sit! Stay!

Wait, don't tell me how to teach him. This is much more fun, chasing each other around the center wall that makes a circle around the bottom floor of our house.

I'm the crazy old lady, aren't I? God.

2 comments:

MWGirl said...

Stay was VERY hard for us, too. We still practice, almost every single day, making him sit and stay while we open the front door and leave. Of course we come back 30 seconds later but it's the most sad thing in the world because Jack seriously thinks we are leaving FOR....EVER!

I say, stick to it and eventually he'll just get it. In the last 6 weeks or so Jack has suddenly, after months and months of zero interest, learned to fetch and catch things in his mouth.

Right now we're working on playing dead. Except everytime we say BANG and point the fake gun, he rolls over. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that makes me want to get a dog! I want to be the crazy old lady in the window! Unfortunately, I live in the city and we are not allowed to have a pet.