Monday, April 30, 2007

Improving the quality of my life for $9.99 a month

Remember the original Nintendo system, and how it used to get all geometric and turquoise and fuchsia on you mid-game, and you'd have to stop whatever it was Mario was doing to take the cartridge out and blow on it and wipe it with rubbing alcohol?

That's how I feel when I watch library DVDs.

And though I can go on and on about my love for all things cheap and library-ious, I've had enough. Free DVD rentals are one thing. Dealing with skipping is quite another, especially when your DVD player can't work through it, and instead spins and makes that errk-err-errk-err sound. It's really relaxing.

Not to mention waiting lists, and "FOR GREEN LAKE HOLDS ONLY" DVDs that I want to see ... But not enough to go to Green Lake. Or wherever.

So I've decided to break up with renting movies from the library in exchange for $9.99 a month. Yes. Dave and I decided that, since renting movies is just as expensive since we never return them on time (and since we're too cheap to get cable), Netflix is the answer to all our problems.

Well, at least this one.

I'm waiting anxiously for my first DVD to come and I'm updating my Netflix queue like it's my new hobby.

I had to convince Dave that he'd have a say in picking out movies, but let's be honest. I haven't told him the password.

That'd explain the following choices: "The L Word, Season 2," "Scoop," "CSI, Season 6," "Borat ...," "Anastasia," "Stranger Than Fiction," and "The Forsyte Saga." I'm addicted and I haven't even watched a movie from Netflix yet.

3 comments:

Mark said...

I used to be a big Netflix person too, but I've become a Blockbuster Online convert. It's pretty equal on price and selection, but it's really nice being able to trade the online DVDs you're done with for free rentals at the local store. I used to be on the 4-out Netflix plan but now I'm on the cheaper 2-out Blockbuster plan. I get about the same number of movies that way for less price. Also, local Blockbusters have the "life after late fees" thing still, which means you can have in-store rentals out up to 7 days past the actual due date with no late fees.

Whichever service you go with though, DVDs by mail changes your life. TiVo is next on the life-consuming parade of convenience.

Anonymous said...

I've recently become a devotee of buying movies or tv show episodes that I want to see on iTunes. My husband, being a technology nut, bought the Apple tv. So we can now watch the stuff bought on iTunes on our regular big screen tv. It's pretty cool stuff! You do have to BUY the shows/movies, but I'm one of those people who is likely to want to watch most things more than once anyway. Have fun with Netflix!

Erin said...

Thanks! I got my first one in the mail today. Guess what I'll be doing for the next two hours. Ha!