Thursday, December 1, 2005

I'll be cliche to write one in three weeks. Now? Cool.

I'm gonna mix things up a bit. You know how at the end of the year, there are all these "top 20 of 2005" lists? The classic, overdone end-of-the-year lists?

Well, I'm gonna do an "end of 11 months" list. The "11 at the beginning of the 12th month" list. (Gee, that's catchy.) (I had to do this list now, so it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle at the end of December.) At the end of December, I'll be writing regular, intriguing blogs while everyone else will be makin' lists, thus making my blog more interesting. (Erin wins!)

Bear with me.

Here goes. The top 11 moments in the last 11 months, written at the beginning of month numero 12.

1. High moment: I got a job. I got engaged. Those were pretty good, I guess.
2. Low moment: Signed a year lease in Michigan. In April. Look how well that turned out for me.
3. "Ewwww" moment: At my farewell concert, some guy stage dove and almost died. Oh, the blood, sweat and tears.
4. "I can't believe I did that" moment: Saw "Eternal Sunshine" and cried for two hours after that "because (sniffle) it's just so SAD!" Lesson learned? Don't watch "Eternal Sunshine" in front of people.
5. Exciting moment: Question mark. (Hey, I still have a month.)

(pause for dramatic effect)

6. Scary moment: You can either read this or you can just take my word for it: it involved a few mice, the East side of Toledo (scary in itself), and me. Screaming.
7. Sad moment: When Billy Joel said he was going to retire.
8. "Dang." moment: Trying to think of an exciting moment a few minutes ago. Dang, that was hard.
9. Lie-filled moment: When I wrote #3. It wasn't my farewell concert. Just the last show I saw in Toledo. Dang.
10. Cheesy moment: I just ate a whole box of mac 'n cheese. I wish I were witty (and had a big will power) enough to be making that up.

(I think they call this "the kicker"):
11. Moment I realized I thought I'd be in a waaaay different place in almost 2006? Now. I can't believe I'm going to be - ah, ha, ah, I almost gave the age away. I can't believe I'm going to be another year older in about a month. Where's my money? Where's my entourage of "Sex and the City"-esque friends? Where are my six-pack abs? My book deal? My book, for that matter? Dang.

My 16-year-old self would be so angry at me right now. I mean, I have a real job! What happened to the Peace Corps? Speaking Dutch? Marrying someone rich?

Oh. Yeah, real life. Forgot about that one. Dang.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin!
I get to be your first comment! Interesting site! Glad I can still read your articles! We are proud of you!
Love,
Your Favorite Aunt in St. Marys
(Your only aunt in St. Marys but that's ok!)
PS See you at Christmas!