Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I propose we get rid of Indiana.

Well, we made it back. Both of us, the fiance and I. The trip wasn't so bad; but don't be fooled. It wasn't because we like riding in the car with each other now. No. It's because when driving the length of the state of Indiana, it becomes increasingly obvious why we should stick together.

If you've ever driven through Indiana the long way, bottom to top, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, your life is probably better for not having done it. This was my first south-north trip throught Indiana. I've always cut through the state going west to east, and I thought those trips were long enough.

Indiana is where fun goes to die. Indiana doesn't know the benefits of having street lamps. Indiana doesn't have exit ramps for a good 1,000 miles. Indiana's McDonalds have those big Hollywood-esque search lights on their buildings; probably because there aren't street lamps to guide you to them. I can't stress enough how boring Indiana is. I propose Ohio and Illinois inch their borders together til there is no Indiana left. Ohio and Illinois could fill up the empty space with like, garbage or trees or bright lights, big cities. SOMETHING. Give me something to look at. Anything.

But Indiana brought us together. I begged the fiance to stay awake, if only to keep me awake. It was us against Indiana. And we won, because we made it out alive. And because Indiana annoyed me more than the fiance.

I guess the boring car ride is one of the reasons I was looking forward to getting back to Wisconsin. That, and sleeping in my own bed. And snow. There were no white Christmases to be had in Ohio. But I thought I would miss Wisconsin more than I did.

Besides the bed, I really wasn't looking forward to coming back yet. I kept thinking about work, and I worried about getting it all done in the two days I have to work this week. I didn't want to come home to do laundry and put everything away. I loathe my barren cupboards, and dread going grocery shopping. I'm resentful toward my brothers, who don't have to go back to school until mid-January. I regret not leaving the heat on a smidge higher in here. I get cranky when I think about putting all the Christmas trees and decorations away, and hate myself a little bit for thinking I needed five trees. Seriously. Five. It's like a magical forest in here.

It didn't even really feel like Christmas. Sure, I watched "A Christmas Story" and opened gifts, but it went too fast. If only I had one more day. Juuuust one. Dang. It feels like a Monday.

Oh, man.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I got stranded in Iowa on the way to Kansas and spent Christmas in a Super 8 in a town that didn't even have stop lights. If it's any consolation, my Christmas day streched on forever.

-- Donovan

Bethany K. Warner said...

Have you ever driven north and south through Illinois?
And you thought Indiana was boring.

BlackAndy said...

Indiana isn't where fun went to die. You're thinking of my alma mater. (Read the 2nd paragraph.)

Although now that I think of it, I met a lot of people from Indiana there.

Anonymous said...

Or just drive from Appleton to Green Bay - a terrible boring drive.

Anonymous said...

Having grown up in Indiana, I can agree with the long ride through the state southward. However, I have taken the trip East through Ohio on I-80, and I would say they are pretty much the same.

Come to think of it, Ohio and Indiana are very similar in many ways. They both have only a couple of larger cities(Cleveland, Indy) with a smattering of smaller cities that think they are larger cities due to major colleges(Columbus, South Bend).

I grew up in "The Region", which consists of Northwest Indiana. It is totally different than the rest of the state because it is heavily influenced by Chicago. In fact in the last couple of years it has literally become the suburbs of Chicago due to housing costs and taxes.

Tough to generalize about a whole state!

Jack Straw

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you know this or not, but I have been trying for years to illiminate Indiana. Ever since sixth grade when I lost my zoo suveniers (I spelled that wrong, sorry) on the zoo train in Fort Wayne.
I think that if we combine our powers (your hatred for indiana and my love of zoo suveniers (again, sorry)) we can defeat this evil!

On another note ... Five christmas trees?

-Chris Ankney

Anonymous said...

Erin, first of all, you must mean I-65 between Lafayette and Crown Point, a stretch that always tests my endurance for dullness.

But Indiana has surprises, and it's worth getting off the beaten track. As I noted in my blog, a pretty drive lies just a mile or so east of I-65. It's a pleasant alternative, though not as quick.

And, not to bicker or -- ahem -- "badger the badgers," can I cite I-94 between the Illinois-Wisconsin state line and General Mitchell Airport south of Milwaukee. Straight-arrow dull. At least I-65 has a few broad curves.

Anonymous said...

You must have been subjugated to the insanely boring, mind-numbing trek up I-65N between Indianapolis and Merrillville. Not much there to look at (unless you're a Boilermaker, then Lafayette may interest you).

In my State's defense:

1. Indiana has 2 of the 100 largest cities in the United States: Indianapolis (#12) and Evansville (#78). Not that size is indicative of quality, but I happen to love Indy (Fort Wayne is pretty good too). West Lafayette is one of the best-educated cities in the Country. Fishers is one of the most young & affluent cities in the Nation (it's also one of the fastest-growing). Hoosiers have a lot of things to offer to our world, and besides: "Fort Wayne, Ohio"? "Indianapolis, Illinois"? Now that just sounds strange.

2. Indiana has been called home by a lot of people I'm proud to have as fellow hoosiers: Kurt Vonnegut, Robert Indiana, James Whitcomb Riley, T.C. Steele, Abraham Lincoln, Virgil Grissom, &c. It just wouldn't be right if they suddenly became buckeyes!

3. "It didn't even really feel like Christmas. Sure, I watched "A Christmas Story" and opened gifts, but it went too fast." You have the city of South Bend, Indiana to thank for A Christmas Story. You're welcome!

I hate lists, so I'll stop there.

I'm sure Oskhkosh is a nice place (every toddler needs a good pair of bib overalls), and I'd love to find out more about your city and your state. From what I have read so far, Oshkoshers (Oshkoshonians? Oshkoshites? Oshkans?) have a fear of driving in the dark and don't need a hollywood-style searchlight to find a McDonald's. I'm sure there are other, more interesting things I could find out by visiting your state.

I just hope I'm don't get stuck on some exceedingly boring stretch of rural highway. I may petition to have your fine state re-titled "Western Michigan".

In all seriousness, I propose an exchange. I'll send you a gift basket of interesting things from around Indiana if you send me a gift basket of interesting things from the great state of Wisconsin. Consider it an exercise in Interstate cultural education. Whaddaya say?

Anonymous said...

Awww... c'mon. I wanted to do this! Pleeease? Don't make me grovel.

Erin said...

Hmm, I don't know, Shawn, I'm not even from Wisconsin. I wouldn't even know where to start!