Sunday, July 29, 2007

The way to a woman's heart ...

I got you something, he said, reaching above my head to the top of the kitchen cabinet.

The plastic gleamed on the rectangular package. Angels sang. The background faded behind him in a mixture of heavenly pink clouds.

Could it be? No, it couldn't, I thought. But yes! Yes. In one second, it was confirmed. He bought me cereal.

Dave! I said, looking at the variety pack.

I know, he said. I figured you were having a bad day so --

You got me cereal! I interrupted. Frosted Flakes, Apple Jacks, Corn Pops, Cocoa Krispies ... all in tiny single-serving packages. Cute little packages Grandma used to tape back up and put in the play kitchen for the grandkids. I hugged the variety pack to my chest. I think I swooned, too, thought I'm not sure what swooning looks like.

Most women would have similar gushing reactions for diamonds or sappy cards. But I just prefer items that make my milk slightly chocolate-y or apple-cinnamon-y when I'm done with it.

No comments: