Friday, July 27, 2007

E-aa, E-aa, uh-oh (that's late '90s rap, for airplane conventions)

Other friends and coworkers are running marathons and 5ks and looking like they could generally beat me up, or at least outrun me, and I am exhausted after walking around a bit at EAA AirVenture today.

As I said, I go purely for the free stuff, and though we missed the Canadian booth (which had me bummed out for a good 15 minutes), we got some cool stuff.

I mean, I got a pen. Not just a regular old ballpoint. It's from the Air Force. In a pouch. It's shiny. It's dark blue. It's the kind that you'd see on someone's desk and immediately wish they'd turn around long enough so you could pick it up and doodle on the edge of your notepad -- just for a moment -- because it just writes so well. Oooh. Good find. I didn't even have to enlist! I just put my brother's name and phone number on the card and handed it to the nice gentleman behind the booth, and they gave me the pen! Wow! What a country.*

I also think I drove Dave a little bit nuts today, too, calling out the Ohio license plates I saw. "Montgomery! Dave, look, Montgomery!" "Sandusky!" "Licking!" "Hancock!" "Dave! Dave! Look! Butler!" And that was just on the way in.

"Are you still counting them out?" Dave asked as we pulled out of the parking lot, both of us exhausted and sticky from the humidity, fanning ourselves in front of the vents in the car.

"Phsft. No." ("Ooh! Lucas!" I thought to myself. "Greene!") Nerd!

*Didn't really happen that way.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What happened with those planes up there?

Unknown said...

Licking? Are you serious? So somewhere, someone is saying "Why yes, I'm from Licking, Ohio."

And of all the things I'd want to lick, I think Ohio is near the bottom of the list.

Sara said...

After living here for 15 months, I still point out EVERY SINGLE Ohio plate I see. It drives Nate crazy.

I also liked that in Ohio the plates' expiration date is the month of the birthday. That was fun for me for some reason. Stupid Wisconsin doesn't do that OR have the county sticker.

Badgergirl said...

Almost four years after leaving Indiana, I still do that. People look at me like I've lost it, but I'm like, "No, 48...that's Madison County, where I lived."

I think they still think I'm nuts.

Erin said...

Aren't Wisconsin license plates lame? I mean, they look OK, but there's no information for nosy people like me. Wait, I meant "inquisitive."

Erin said...

Oh, and I'm so not kidding about Licking County.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/map1/cntymap.asp

It's right dead-center.