Sunday, July 29, 2007

I'm that woman who considers stays in hotel rooms "vacation"

I could've opted to stay at a friend's house, but I didn't want to. One, because I was that annoying little girl who said "yes" to sleepovers then said "MOM" at midnight and cried until my mom or dad picked me up from my friend's house, saying "If you keep doing this, no one's going to ask you to come over anymore." And that was OK with me. Why spend the night at other people's homes when you had your own perfectly comfortable bed at your house, complete with cereals you knew you liked??

And two, because I like being alone sometimes.

Thus, a hotel room idea was born. Dave can't make it because of work, so I'm going to be watching cable TV until midnight and taking long showers and hogging a king-sized bed with nothing but my 5 foot 2 frame. Heck yes. I am so excited about my short stay in a hotel room (outside of sleeping, I'll be there for about, oh, five hours that matter) that I'm looking to that Friday as a vacation all in itself.

Sure, it'd be cooler if Dave were there. But maybe you didn't hear me. Cay-ble. Tee-vee. In my room. I have the remote. I am surfing all night. All night. I'm turning the air conditioner to 60, I'm eating breakfast all over the continent and I'm throwing wet towels on the floor just for fun. I'm using the shower cap while I brush my teeth and wasting the whole bottle of shampoo on one wash. Wonder if my hotel has postcards ... Hm. If so, I'll send one to myself. It could be the best memento of a not-vacation I've ever had.

"Dear Erin: Right now, I'm having fun! It's so cold! The TV's on a 'Law & Order' from 1999! Wish you were here again. See you soon, Erin."

No comments: