Sunday, May 20, 2007

Planting, (the more successful) part two

Today we really did plant. Dave did the topsoil while I was at work. I did the planting and rearranging while he was at work. We stood back and admired our handiwork. Wow. Colorful flowers. I even recognized the old rock garden by throwing a few decorative rocks in there. Of course, it was over an area that had some buried rock underneath, but whatev.

And mulch? And those bushes? No, we don't have those yet. But the flowers are in the ground! Because if we had the bushes and the flowers now, we run the risk of actually doing something right on the first try -- and then what would I have to blog about? I know. Nothing.

Then came the front yard ... Let's say I like the back yard -- no, I love it. It's where I can go and only four people will see me. And one of those people is a dog. It's pretty. It now has new flowers. It has greenery. A patio table. A grill.

The front yard and I have no attachment to each other yet. And I don't like being in the front yard. I like to hide in the back yard.

So Dave volunteered to plant flowers there. Really, it was a volunteer, not a command.

What he didn't know while he was inside getting dinner ready was, I was making a plant map of the front yard. I plugged in the plants we had bought that I wanted there, and then ... wait. No, that looks dumb, I thought. So I envisioned a plant moving. Yes! Those new bushes, let's take them out! Let's put them in the back yard! Let's get those other bushes, and move them -- yes! Here! And then move this ... here. And put these ... uh, here!

By the time Dave came out, he didn't recognize my map. It was glorious. Genius. And probably not what any Master Gardener would tell me to do.

"Can you do this tomorrow?" I held it in front of him -- See! See how easy it would be? Come on, Dave!

He looked at me like I was nuts. "Yeah. I'll trrryyyy."

And that's when he decided that next year, he was going to take a long trip all through planting season. And probably have a talk with my doctor about trying some new medication.

No comments: