Monday, May 7, 2007

It's that Y chromosome that just changes everything

My brother is getting married in a few weeks, and besides the natural "Oh my God, he's so old. Good thing I didn't get older" thoughts, I'm generally looking forward to it now. Weddings are a blast, and I don't even have to think about what to wear to this one.

lus, it's my brother -- so this is really odd for me. I remember him falling off his bike and sniffing pepper up his nose at LaRosa's Pizza in 1988, and then crying so hard we had to leave. I remember waiting for the bus to take us to elementary school.

But Dave on the other hand is looking forward to the wedding for other reasons. Is it because he'll get to see his family when we visit them? Is it because he gets to take a day off work to go to Cincinnati and dance and party with his wife and their family? Or, perhaps it's that he just wants to wish the happy couple well.

No. Well, at least those weren't the first few thoughts.

Dave glanced at their pretty, elegant wedding invitations and shrieked. "Ooh! At a country club! I can GOLF!" There were definite exclamation points in his voice.

He's so sentimental.

"I'm not sure anyone else is, Dave. And I don't know if it's open to the public."

"It doesn't matter. I'm golfing." Persistence would break down that "not open to the public" rule, should the club have one.

I rolled my eyes and laughed and his revolutionary spirit was gone by the time the invite was hanging on the fridge.

"I mean I wouldn't mind. If someone else is going. You know. If we have time. Or whatever."

No comments: