Wednesday, May 9, 2007

New meaning to 'making it work'

I met Dave at work in Toledo when we were both in school, so the "first Dave" I knew was "Dave, my pseudo-boss." Then I was Dave's boss. Then we got jobs at other newspapers, until last year, when Dave started working where I do.

Beyond that whole "Let's not have you tell me about Work Dave, because I'd like to pretend I'm not really married to Work Dave" part of the situation, it's not that bad. We don't work together-together, so that part is totally kosher. And when I forget my lunch, he brings it to me when he comes in for second shift. When I need a ride home for dinner, he can bring me.

And I don't mind seeing Dave that much. (You may vomit when reading this sentence and I apologize) Dave's my best friend, and he's really two different people to me: Dave Dave and Work Dave.

Still, it's hard when I wake up in the morning and go to work at 8, and he comes to work during the afternoon, and then we leave work to go home for dinner and we talk about work, and then he goes back to work while I think about work, and then he comes home from work and wants to talk about work after I've already forgotten work. Work? Work? No, I don't know what you're talking about. That's my state of mind at 11 p.m. Denial:

"Dude, guess what happened at work toda-"

"Stop."

"Just one thing. Let me tell you one story."

"Fine. One."

"OK, well (insert story that actually leads to me responding with another story)."

"Dave? Stop. Movie? Want to watch a movie? Let's watch a movie."

That's a lot of Dave and a lot of work. And in a way I like it. But a break? I could use a teeny tiny one. So when Dave goes away for a weekend soon, maybe I'll be watching chick flicks and not thinking about work and not doing anything but nothing.

Of course, by the time he gets home, I'm sure I'll be bored with that, and then it'll be time to go to work. Ha, ha.

No comments: