Thursday, November 29, 2007

Yay, Dave

Morning sickness is a weird occurrence, because I get it when I'm hungry, tired or otherwise standing still. In the morning, I find it hard to get out of bed -- remember that time you were so tired you thought you'd lay down and never, ever get back up? It's that feeling, plus vomiting.

Now picture yourself at 6:45 a.m., leaning over feeling like that, wondering if you already asked Dave to get you toast or if you were just hoping you did.

He doesn't move. You assume you just thought you did.

"Dave?"

"I'm going," he says, eyes closed, mouth barely moving.

Though you didn't ask, he knows what to do. Why? Because he's Dave, the poor sucker stuck lying next to you night after night, waking up to your "I'm thirsty"s and "Could you get me some toast?"s. And he's the kind-hearted guy who goes and gets them without much complaining.

Everyone should have a Dave.

Written Oct. 29

No comments: