Tuesday, November 20, 2007

They're crooks, the whole lot of them

If ever there was anything someone could have mentioned to me somewhere along the line about being an adult that would've made me stop and re-evaluate this whole living thing, it'd be insurance.

I'm not going to sit in my recliner with the doilies on the arm rests while I spew hatred on the entire health care system, saying it's full of people with scabies for brains. Nah. I'm much too bored for all of that. Sure, it's a scam. Yeah, someone's getting rich off my measly $1,200 a year. But, well, what can I do. Write my congressman?

Anyhow.

I spent about an hour last night comparing options, checking doctors and facilities between here and my mom's house (just in case!), choosing out-of-pocket expenses vs. out-of-paycheck stabs in the heart.

I hated every minute of it. I ended up doing a cost analysis, something I thought I'd never do after I passed (the second time around!) math for liberal arts majors in college. I was wrong. Kind of. I mean, I didn't have to do it long hand. There was pretty much a calculator right there, waiting for me. And I really just had to look at some factors, then pick the one with the lowest number. But it's numbers. It's luck. It's logic.

It's Dave on the couch going "You did what?" when I tell him which I chose, and then me sitting on the recliner going "But I can't go in and change it! What did I doooo? It was a mistake! Oh nooooooo!"

I'll live. Just, you know, with less control over where I go should I get the shakes and chills and feel impending death coming on. Until next fall, I'll convince myself I made the wrong choice, and should I get in an accident, I'm going to need someone to tell the kind man giving me CPR that if he could kindly drive me to Aurora Medical Center, that I'd be most grateful. No, I do not care that I was hit by a bus in Mercy Medical Center's parking lot. They're blacked out. Sorry.

I'm going to go straighten up my doilies on my TV stand now. Maybe dust off the plastic on the davenport. Watch some "Price is Right."

2 comments:

MWGirl said...

I don't know which stupid plan to pick either. I hate it. And, until something happens to me, I'll go on thinking that insurance is a HUGE waste of money.

Farrah said...

Most insurance IS a waste of money (this coming from someone who's been employed in the insurance industry for nearly 10 years). However, after I paid only $10 for a $125 prescription today, I LOVE health insurance.