Tuesday, October 30, 2007

It's no offense. I bet under different circumstances, we'd be friends

I've never been to Milwaukee (with the exception of a wedding I was at, but I don't think it counts because it was dark when I got there and we went right there and back). I've not had the desire to really go to Milwaukee, because I'm not the type of person who right now is desiring much more than maybe a nap? A cheeseburger with extra ketchup? I'm not asking a lot.

Dave loves cities and he'll tell you so if ever you so vaguely mention the name of a bigger city. I think Milwaukee would provoke that in him, but I won't let him talk about it because I don't want to go.

It's no offense to Milwaukee. However, until last year, I didn't know Milwaukee was like, this real place that people went to and loved and made memories in. I read Play in the City when Erin did it, and I remember thinking "What? Milwaukee? People do things in Milwaukee? Wait ... I thought it was a joke? I thought they had beer and that was it?"

I guess that'd be like someone saying "Toledo? What do they have there, anyhow? Jeeps and a lot of nothing?" Yeah, but it was home.

So, while I can admit Milwaukee's more than I thought it was, I'm not looking forward to my trip there tomorrow. For one, I'm going alone to the conference, and driving's not my forte. Directions, not my forte. Stress behind the wheel? Also not a strong point. I'm what you would call dreading it, actually. Public parking, no one to yell at when I don't know where I'm going and could you kindly hold the map open a little -- no, so I can see it -- hold, hold -- God dangit, I just missed it, did you see that? I just missed my frickin' turn. I told you, no, here. I'm getting out. YOU drive. I'm not doing this.

That, I don't get to do tomorrow.

I'm hating life a bit right now. So forgive me if I don't have any feeling of excitement over this ... And I know I'm being slightly hormonal right now, and I apologize.

1 comment:

Farrah said...

I hope you survived your visit to Milwaukee :o)