Saturday, October 27, 2007

See Dave run. Run, Dave, run.

The last time Dave ran, I wasn't there to see it.

I'm not quite sure where it was, or when. I'm pretty sure he was wearing football pads and we were still in the '90s, maybe 2000. The Dave I know and love just doesn't run. He walks. He drives. He surfs the Internet. He cooks, shops and cleans.

Well, now he's going to be running, too.

Over his beer and our friend's margarita, munching on chips before our Mexican food came out, he decided to take up our equally not-a-runner friend on his offer to join him in training for the Oshkosh Half Marathon in April.

Did you read that right? I'm not sure if Dave realized while drinking his beer and eating those chips that 13.1 miles isn't really a small feat since, well, he doesn't run. Period.

But he's determined now, if only so people who said "Dave? Dave Wasinger? You're kidding" when they heard he would be running in it will get to say "Oh, huh. Look at him go."

I think it's cool; he's finally going to have someone to train with who isn't as keen to sleeping in and as averse to sweating as I. But, it should probably be noted that it's Oct. 27, and the race is probably going to be in early April, and that leaves plenty of time for Dave to say "5K is long enough" or "Ow, my shins, I quit." We'll see. We'll see.

No comments: