Sunday, October 7, 2007

That's how we do Gallery Walk

Dave's Gallery Walk was a success, actually.

I say "actually" because I was kind of nervous about having to stand there while I was tired, hungry and "blech" from all the crackers and cheese, while looking halfways intelligent as Dave talked about his photos and walked around; but actually, we knew people there.

Yes, they were people from work. OK, you got me. But they didn't all come at the same time, so we looked interesting.

Furthermore, people recognized me from my column in The Northwestern -- all good encounters except one. Hey, six out of seven isn't bad.

The "ew"-sayer stood on the other side of the table that was lined with an assortment of wine and cheese, and discreetly pointed at me to her husband while I pretended to be listening to the couple standing to the right of the point-and-whisper couple.

"She's that one," she said in a half-whisper. "She writes about herself and her life and being married." But she didn't say it in a way that meant she used my column for anything short of lining hamster cages and washing windows.

Tough crowd.

Oh. Better news. Dave sold five pieces. Now we can afford to pay the person we had frame and mat the pieces. Ha! He also had a couple "let me have your number"s (not from eligible women, either -- I mean to inquire about the art), and one inquiry from a man who wants him to possibly stage a home on a tour of homes coming up. Tres cool.

Tres glad it's over, so next time I can eat cheese for the enjoyment of it, and not just to keep my hands busy. Blech.