Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Wrong number from a grouchy, conspiratorial-sounding caller

We never get people to call us unless it's Sallie Mae wanting to let me know that someone requested their password be reset on the Web site -- again (and I hear the voice recording roll its eyes), and if it's not me, please call us at ... Either that, or my mom.

But this ...

"This is Mrs. Dithers," the gruff voice said in a not-very-friendly way on our answering machine. "Listen. I've got that space. Just one, though, if you guys want it. It's 10 by 10, and it runs $30 a month. OK. Goodbye."

Is that not the creepiest message? She made it sound like it was for storing bodies or something. And I'm sure Mrs. Dithers is really a nice woman, but she seemed about as happy to offer someone that 10 by 10 space as she would offering a glass of water to someone who'd just killed her beloved cat, Fluffy.

It was like a scene from a horror movie. I ransacked my brain to make sure I wasn't forgetting about Dave mentioning his moving out and taking the couch to a storage unit with him. When I felt pretty confident that that would be something I would indeed remember, I started to get creeped out. I swear, I heard the "Unsolved Mysteries" song.

And then I hit delete and decided to blog about it, just in case (in case what? I don't know ... I hadn't thought that far out). But I need witnesses, man.

No comments: