Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Oooh, yes, Our June 11th

About a month ago some Dave and I and our friends were joking around about missing birthdays and other important dates.

Her birthday's right around Christmas, Dave said, and our anniversary's in October. That's the most important part, he added. Valentine's Day is easy enough. Christmas ...

Oh, and June 11, too, right? our friend asked, testing Dave.

Uh ... What is that? It's something important, isn't it?, Dave was sweating now. Probably scanning all possible dates of significance in his mind for something, anything, that may have been June 11.

So after the required one minute of uncomfortable shifting in his chair we laughed and said, "No, no, just kidding!" as in ha, ha, see, there's nothing on June 11. But it's become this joke that June 11 -- Our June 11 as we called it -- was something special.

"I want this for Our June 11th," I'd say if I saw something cool.

"Oh, OK."

"Here, I picked you this daisy for Our June 11th," I said, handing Dave some flower I got from our side yard.

"Oh, thanks."

And that was that.

Only last night, Dave was late coming home from work. "Had some things to catch up on," I believe was his phrase. And that guy, he wasn't catching up on anything. Except maybe his June 11th plans. Because I got an iTunes gift card for Our June 11th, the holiday that really isn't anything at all, but the one Dave thought "Better safe than sorry."

So it worked out so well that I'm going to ask him what I'm getting for Our Aug. 7th. Or our Sept. 23rd. Our Nov. 16th. You know, random enough dates that'll make him think, "No, really, isn't that something? Isn't that date important?" Ha.

No comments: