Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Hey, Dad! Look what I can do!

My dad and I have this weird relationship; my parents got divorced when I was 10 so I haven't lived with him since. He has a wife and new kids. They're all neat. But I feel this urge to impress him every time I see him. It's a kid thing, maybe. So his upcoming trip has been giving me pause. It's messy. It's small. It smells like recycling. The fridge has a spot of orange juice I've been meaning to clean ...

"I'm looking forward to coming up there in a few weeks," he said. Business trip in Milwaukee. Our house is the pit stop. Not that I mind.

"Me too," I said. Gulp.

"But nothing's done," I thought, not saying this out loud or giving it away with my "OH MY GOD" face I'm so famous for. "The cabinets, the deck, the molding, the floors, the mulch ..."

"It's the first time I'll be at one of my kids' houses, where it's THEIR house," he added. "How cool is that!"

"And it is mine! I bought it as a single woman."

"Really?"

Oh -- did you hear that "really"? Score! Just like that, I AM impressive -- without even trying. Dang, I'm good. And what's it cost me? A mortgage. Toch! I'm so on that.

He doesn't need to know Dave'll be on the deed shortly. I've got a good three weeks left to act impressive. No need to diffuse that sense of pride just yet for Dad.

No comments: