Tuesday, June 19, 2007

If this were your 8th grade English class, you'd have to find a common theme in my search for "Big Fish" and the "fish that got away" anecdote

I get on these kicks where I want one thing, just one thing, and it's all I can do is to find it. About a year ago began my hunt for an amber, antique hen dish thingy (which really is as grandma as it sounds, but I don't care). It had to be amber (duh). The medium size. Not cracked or chipped. No more than $30. No stickers. No bad smell.

At every antique store Dave and I looked and found white ones, red ones, clear ones. Big ones, tiny ones. But I wanted one that looked like this. It was all I could do to not find it on eBay.com, because that wouldn't be nearly as fun.

I remember when I did find it -- for $10, in Ohio -- I sort of held it in my hands and considered putting it back, because I wasn't even looking for it, and Dave wasn't there. Where was the fun in that? (I changed my mind about the lack of fun when I did buy it and called Dave to tell him ... and as a guy, he didn't really have that same emotional attachment to our chicken hunt.)

And just like that, I had nothing else to look for.

Until now. All I want is "Big Fish." I know a million, trillion Web sites have it; I know. But stores I've been in don't have it. (With my antiques-shopping partner working and shooting weddings, I don't so much have higher goals; though I do have my eye open at all times for postcards from Cincinnati from early last century ...). Anyhow.

An older woman said to me once that she hoped I didn't get whatever it was my 16-year-old self wanted. She said it'd make me a better person to always have something to want.

(Of course, this is the same woman who said to that 16-year-old self at church -- in front of God, my friends and everybody -- that I was filling out nicely. I went home and cried. ... So maybe I should reconsider this self-imposed ban on eBay-ing.)

4 comments:

Christi said...

You know, I see where that wise old woman was going and i completely agree that the aspect of desire should never be lost from a person's life. After all, if we achieve all that we had ever hoped for or wanted, what else is there? Time to enjoy it? Sure, but how long can last?

But I also feel that as humans, we will always want what we can't have...no matter how much we already have achieved. We will always desire, and therefore we will always try to do better to get it (generally speaking). So she was half right =)

I'm not sure that even makes sense.

I guess what I'm babbling about is unless it's the experience of the hunt you're after, I say go for ebay!! If you want a "Big Fish" go buy a big fish!!! It doesn't make you any less of a person for doing so.

Farrah said...

What is "Big Fish"?

Erin said...

It's that movie with (I think it was) Ewan McGregor.

Ank said...

My grandma used to have a chicken that looked exactly like that. She kept strawberry hard candies in it. You know, the wrapped ones with the kind of liquidy/jelly stuff inside.
I think she got rid of it when my grandfather died and she moved out.
It could be the same one ... does it smell like strawberry hard candies that are wrapped and have a liquidy/jelly stuff inside?