Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What should you do if you want to become a newspaperman or woman? First, learn how to use a typewriter

While cleaning the house trying to find a sense of cleanliness underneath this pile of everything-bagel crumbs and dead plant leaves brought to submission by Fearless Big, I found this book of ours, "Your Career in Journalism."

Distraction, yesss. I don't like the smell of everything bagels - they make me gag both because their name is ridiculous, because how can you have everything on a bagel?, and because they smell like everything bagels - so I sat to thumb through the book.

Chapter 9 of this 1965 book: "... a metropolitan editor may balk at hiring you because you are a girl. Here are the main reasons: ... He's afraid you'll get married and quit just when you've started to be of some use to him. If you are married, he figures you will become pregnant and quit."

Really? You mean I should've quit in October? Now I can quit when I'm going to have a baby?! Well, hot dang. I'm out. I've got a cake in the oven and a pot roast thawing in the sink and I simply MUST do my nails. Uh!

(Also of note, Chapter 8's opening line: The day may not be far off when a city editor will say to a reporter: "Check your space gear. You're going to the moon." So, uh, when that gig opens up, let me know. I hear it's lovely this time of year.)

No comments: