Monday, June 18, 2007

Hope you like metal!

So metal rockers Stone Sour are coming to the Leach, according to a press release we got late this afternoon.

I, being Out of Touch with any music with the word "metal" in the genre or press release synopsis, had heard of them of course, but Dave was the one who claimed to know more about them, being the Ex-Record Store Employee.

When we got home from work, I logged on to Stone Sour's Web page and was quickly reminded that I was wearing pink, that I have Elliott Smith on my iPod, that I find Billy Joel the quintessential rock 'n' roller and that I was eating Hamburger Helper. Clearly I was closer to those screaming "egads" than the "ROARRRR" crowd they were going for.

What instrument makes that noise like steel being grated? Oh, wait, that was a vocal line. Right.

Anyhow. So I closed that window and went where I felt safe -- iTunes. I selected "Bother," because I'd heard of it, and said "BINGO, there's a song broadcast (and satellite) radio have grown to love." It's a mellow song. I can handle it.

Hearing it, Dave got out of his mortgage paying hat and put on the elite record store clerk hat.

Yeah, that song got talked about when it came out because it was so different from the Slipknot stuff the lead singer did, he said.

I don't like Slipknot, I said, going back to the 30-second audio sample to cut it off at 15.

That song also won them some Grammy nominations, he added.

Wait a minute. "You read that on the press release."

"OK, yeah I did. But it sounded good, didn't it?"

"Yes, it did." Meaning, it's OK, Dave. I won't tell anyone you had to quote a press release about music to impress your wife. Not even my blog. I won't even post it there. Oops.

1 comment:

Farrah said...

Check out their song "Through Glass". It was one of my favorites when it was in rotation on the alternative station late last year.