Thursday, March 1, 2007

I feel like I've been denied a nighttime of knowledge

I have another season of "CSI" on hold at the library. I have cult favorite "The Nightmare Before Christmas." I have "I Like You" by Amy Sedaris. I have "Rachael Ray's 365 Days, No Repeats" cookbook. All on hold.

I'm really, really excited about this. They're ready to be picked up, sitting on a shelf with some masking tape on the binding with my last name on it.

After working 'til 9:45 p.m. last Thursday, I was more than a little stoked about getting out of work at a normal-first-shift time, 6 p.m. (After having a mild panic attack, certain there was SOMETHING I was forgetting. I'll sit in bed tonight and wonder, and come up with something, then waste all day Friday and Saturday thinking I'm going to get fired ... Ack.)

I planned to go to the library since I got done early, pick up my video-reading material stash, throw on the ugliest pair of yoga pants I own, pull my hair into a messy ponytail and hide on the couch all weekend. All. Weekend. Starting NOW.

I even thought about going to Wal-Mart in my yoga pants and bad hair, just to complete the experience. Scrunchie socks. Scrunchie in my hair. Hi-tops. I was totally excited.

So when Dave and I pulled into the empty public library parking lot tonight, "anger" and "disappointment" weren't strong enough words to describe my feelings.

"But I vacuumed behind the dressers and under the bed last week! I cleaned both bathrooms! I vacuumed the stairs, under the couch, the ceiling corners! I swept! I dusted! WHY! I deserve this!"

"I think they're closed," he said. Oh, Captain Obvious. Isn't he cute.

It's not like it's even that horrible outside. Just some rain and mush (scientific word for "melted snow and dirty, almost-ice").

I can appreciate people putting safety first. But sometimes, to unreasonable, tired minds, safety means taking a break from harsh chemicals used to clean bathrooms. It means reading cookbooks for bland recipes, watching "CSI" episodes from 2003 and doing nothing else.

I hope the library's open tomorrow morning. I don't think I could take that kind of rejection if they're not. Ha, ha.

1 comment:

Badgergirl said...

Hearing your story makes me glad I picked up the book I had on hold during my lunch hour instead of waiting until after work.