Monday, March 12, 2007

Oh, I get it

I was the one who came home on Earth Day with a pine tree no bigger than a tiny branch and planted it every year in the yard (where Dad would inevitably run over it with the lawn mower). I am more afraid of global warming than others because well, it's hot. And I hate hot.

See, I get "save the earth" stuff.

But Wisconsin's pretty hard-core about its recycling. That's a good thing, don't misunderstand. It's a law that we have to recycle. In Ohio, how I remember it, was "hey, the Boy Scouts'll be up town once a month with a truck. Bring your newspapers and milk jugs. Woo! Look at us!"

Dave and I'd been recycling the basics up until two weeks or so ago when we got a letter on the door from the city with recycling guidelines. You can recycle almost everything! You guys! Wow.

Having to recycle and putting said recycling on the curb is like a new game for me. "Ooh! This cereal box, I can recycle. Junk mail? Cardboard?! Paper towel rolls! All of it! And this plastic? Can I recycle it? What about this! I bet I can recycle this!" I found myself picking paper out of the garbage can to put in the recycling bin last night. There's no going back.

I am such a nerd. A green nerd now, though, I guess.

No comments: