Thursday, March 22, 2007

Dysfunctional? I prefer "not mainstream"

When I saw the high-school-drama flick "Mean Girls," I wondered if the girls I knew in real life to be similar to the mean girls in the movie would understand that the Lindsay Lohan characters in the world hated them, too; or, would they just think "that was a dumb movie" and go on making fun of someone's hair or something.

Like, evil people in real life wouldn't understand how evil a villain was in a movie. That sort of idea.

Then I read a review of "Little Miss Sunshine," about it being this story about this wildly dysfunctional family, and it gave me pause. Dysfunctional? What? What did you call us? I mean, them?

I found them endearing ... Normal. What does that make me?

Sure, my grandpa doesn't snort heroin in the bathroom, but ... are they really dysfunctional? Really?

And the rest of the world is standing there pointing at me going "you didn't get it! Ha! You didn't get it!" Dang.

1 comment:

Jacklyn said...

haha, i get it.
my family has its dysfunctions as well. and yes, that family was quite endearing. I liked them. I like my family too, with all its screwed-up-ness. We've got drugs, jail, suicide, divorces, alcohol, on-going excitement everywhere you turn.. always drama. We've got richness and poorness and craziness. everywhere.
the normal parent makes dinner when their kid is home from college. Mine bought me a dozen packs of Ramen. We're not normal.. but i wouldnt have it any other way.