Monday, August 7, 2006

There's just no time


I had lunch with a guy who works in Nashville for a production company, which does a lot of work for CMT (the country music video channel). No, I am not considering a career change. Not that drastic, anyhow. Me? Country music? I don't know if I could handle it. Oh, and I have no TV experience, other than watching it. And I've vowed not to watch TV this summer because it makes me smarter, I hear.

But it was awesome hearing the inside stories for some of the bands, and how the shows are put together. For instance, he told us the story of how a certain band won't participate in a "Top (whatever) of all time" show, unless they're on the "top" list. And it'd better be the top half of the list, or don't even bother calling. Or how videos are put together sometimes by happenstance (like "Wide Open Spaces," by the Dixie Chicks).

Interesting, to say the least. And he didn't go to college to do this, which seems to be a common occurence from people I know ...

Sometimes listening to someone in another field can make you get a bit antsy -- let me make it clear, I'm not thinking about quitting my job (and my boss just about spit his coffee on his monitor right now). Not at all. I repeat, not at all. But I need a hobby -- well, OK, after the wedding and moving thing. I want to do more. Maybe finish my book? Maybe learn some Web design? Maybe get into podcasting? Maybe take a class? Something? Something (more) fun (than planning a wedding)?

I don't think I should be thinking about getting a hobby 68 days before my wedding.

But, dang, I'm 20something. I want to do it all.

(Photo: Ooh, look at all the choices. For extra credit, write 300-500 words about how these dark, scary doors in University Hall at the Univ. of Toledo symbolize all the choices I have in my life. Or, write 30 words about how dark and scary that hallway really is. I took that scary photo by the way. I did not steal it.)

No comments: