Sunday, August 27, 2006

Italiano? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Since watching the French movie "5 x 2" last night, Dave and I have been searching for the meaning to the Italian lyrics of one of its songs: Paolo Conte's "Sparring Partner."

We found them and, like good little American students (who are only taught a language to make us "well rounded," but aren't actually taught it well enough to speak it because why should we actually be learning, I mean we're only paying $250 a credit hour), we went to freetranslation.com.

I wish I could report that it's a love song, or this epic ballad of the triumph over evil, or something. But instead, it seems to be about jungles and elephants. The story of my life.

If you speak Italian, now would be the time to step up and Google "Sparring Partner" and let me know if this really is an accurate translation. I suspect it's not:

"It is a macaco without story,
she of him says,
that it the memory is lacking him
I infuse to the gloves bui…
but its look is a veranda,
time to the time and you will see it,
that it is penetrated in the jungle,
no, not to meet it ever…
I looked at in fund to the game
all here?… but - you know -
I am an old sparring partner
and I did not see ever
a more striped calm,
more secret of so,
you take the first pullmann, road…
all the given back it is already poetry…

It will have more of forty' years
and certain applauses now
due son for love,
not to meet it ever…
it was there in its smile
to guardar pass the streetcar,
old track from elephants
extended above to the macadàm…"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Erin
I was looking for the English translation of this song and found yours - thanks.
did anyone ever give you a more accurate one?
Please answer to magosh@gmail.com
Thanks - Uri

Koert said...

It seems to me that it is very well possible that both jungle and elephant are meant as a metaphor of something...

Not sure but it just seems odd.

The contrast between streetcar and elephant sounds like a story about passing years.

But I'm just guessing of course. If you do stumble across the correct translation I'm interested!

Kind regards,

Koert

Anonymous said...

the same story than Erin...did you found it or not an accurate one?