Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Streaming music -- including the Gin Blossoms


I'm really excited about the movie, but ... AOL is streaming the soundtrack to Zach Braff's new movie, "Last Kiss," and you know ... it's not really good. Remember The Shins, Nick Drake, and Paul Simon on "Garden State"? Remember how even Nick Drake, the king of all sadness, sounded not-so-sad?

This is much less cool. It does have some repeat performers such as Remy Zero and Cary Brothers. Oh well. I hope the movie isn't like the soundtrack ...

What I'm most embarrassed to admit I like from this week's lineup: Gin Blossoms' new CD. Wait. No. I shall no longer be embarrassed. I declare it rad. I SAID IT. Rad. It pretty much sounds exactly like their other songs, which I've started listening to again (for the first time since 1996) since the band came to Waterfest in Oshkosh in June. They played one or two of these songs in Oshkosh, actually.

Most dig-able: "End of the World," "Long Time Gone," and "Learning the Hard Way."

Most "should be on a 'That Thing You Do!'-type movie": "Heart-Shaped Locket."

Awesome. Rad. Totally.

1 comment:

Steve Hyden said...

Um, do you mean PAUL Simon? NEIL Simon writes mildly amusing plays about Jewish people from New York City.