Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Erin Forgot, Part Deux

(In my best radio announcer voice:) It's time for another round of "What Erin Didn't Remember Was In Her Apartment."

Last night was quite the eventful night -- I went through all the boxes we'd collected in three hours, and I still have books on my shelves. I'm proud to say three boxes are also too heavy for me to lift (not saying much), so I had to leave them sit where I taped them shut. It's like an obstacle course in here. Awesome.

And, without further ado, here's what I found:

1. My diploma (and it's real!): The most expensive piece of paper I will ever own, shoved in the bottom of a box that also has an autographed photo of Gordon from Sesame Street from 1988. Obviously of equal importance. (Sidebar: What I didn't find: Dave's diploma. I'd think he was faking being a graduate if I didn't, well, have to sit through ALL THREE HOURS OF HIS COMMENCEMENT, even though his entire family was motioning him to get up and leave after he got his fake diploma.)
See also: Erin skips own commencement, really is too cool for school

2. "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish": Ranks right up there with "Moby Dick." Hey, I was a preschool teacher once.

3. Old flashbulbs: I believe they belong to a camera that hasn't been made since the '70s. Yet I have them. And I'm keeping them. Because I need them in case I go back in time and want to document the occasion.

4. A cable wire: I swear it was taunting me. "Ha, ha. You don't have any use for me, yet I still sit here in the closet, taking up space." I'm sure the neighbors were freaking out when they heard "some crazy woman" yelling "BACK INTO THE BOX YOU GO -- YOU HAVEN'T WON YET." Visions of AMC, "Sex and the City" reruns, "Cold Case Files" and Bill Kurtis ran through my head. I had to sit down for a minute and cry.* (*Not really.)

5. Two Exact-o knives: Neither with blades.

6. Warm Fuzzies: In sixth grade, my class had to write down one nice thing about everyone in the class and then give them to that person, so they could have something to read if they were feeling down. I have about 30 "Your a good reader" (sic) and "You have nice hair" fuzzies. I wonder how lame I must have been at 11 years old to make someone write "Your a good reader" and not "You're a totally rad friend." More tears are shed.* (*Also not true.)

7. A mini football helmet: It's from the University of Tennessee that suctions on to surfaces. I'm not really sure what it does ... It doesn't bobble. Must be a guy thing.

8. Pictionary: Never been played. Think of all the hours of enjoyment still sitting in that box. I estimate at least 45 minutes.

9. Little empty camera and flash boxes: Dave won't let me throw them all away, just in case he feels like selling them on eBay in three years and the person asks "Does it come with its original box?"

10. Darts and a dartboard: Dave got these for Christmas, and they've never been opened because our landlord is a stick in the mud and doesn't like holes in the wall. It would take a lot of toothpaste to fill in the holes I'd create. I'm not really that good.

No comments: