Monday, August 6, 2007

My mom and Milwaukee Buckeye are probably the only two who'll get this right away

I forgot the best part of my weekend.*

Dave went to his first real** Waterfest Thursday (I should've taken a picture of him at the gate, holding up his wristbanded-arm) to see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.

The second opening band sang (while wearing masks that had us saying such phrases like "those things have to stink in this heat" and "I don't get it") Spanish versions of popular songs we all knew, but could only hum along to without looking like jerks. One of those songs was prefaced by a story about a gig they just had in Ohio.

My ears perked up -- Ohio? Hey Band With The Masks On! Did you see my mom? Did she say hi? Never mind.

But, they said they were in Ohio, and they played this song and the crowd went wild.

Then they started.

The opening "duhn - duhn duhn, duhn duhn, duhn-duhn-duh, duhn" (really, that's how it sounds in my head) had Dave rolling his eyes and me going "It's 'Hang on Sloopy,' Dave! It's 'Hang On Sloopy!'"

Oshkosh was indifferent. My Michigan fan husband was gagging. Me? I'm indifferent when the Buckeyes are on TV, unless they're playing Michigan -- then I'm their biggest fan. But Thursday? I was about to do the script Ohio solo.

I didn't, because I didn't want to get arrested for public intoxication after only having had one.

I did, however, throw my arms up for a couple of the "O-H-I-O"s like any good Ohio woman would, and Dave said a few "Let's go Big Blue"s like any Michigan fan would. I responded with a few unprintable, Ohio-leaning versions of that same cheer.

And I wished like H- Harrison that I was back in Ohio for that.***


*Perhaps it's the best because I'm a tad homesick. I promise to try to keep things more in perspective in the future. Yeah. Right.

**The first one was technically Dennis DeYoung and the music of Styx, but we left before Denny Dearest ever got on stage because it was raining and we were comfortably seated at Bob's Trails End, where Dave and our friend Alex ate coney dogs.

*** I just wanted to see how many of these I could actually get in one post. Sorry.

1 comment:

Sara said...

LOVE IT!!!!

I love that as soon as I read the "duhn - duhn duhn, duhn duhn, duhn-duhn-duh, duhn" I already knew it was Hang On Sloopy. And now I have that song in my head and love you for it.

Go Buckeyes!