Sunday, August 19, 2007

The epitome of not-exercising: Watching other people exercise from your comfy couch

What are YOU doing next August? Aug. 8, to be exact? I know what I won't be doing. Watching the Olympics. I'm so sure I just saw that commercial on NBC.

That said, I was so tired after a long week of work following that nightmare car fiasco that I don't think I got off the couch but for a few hours this entire weekend. Kind of reminded me of college and skipping class. Which I never did. Never. Not once. But if I had skipped class, I'm sure the pure good-boredom would've been the same feeling.

And during this self-inflicted banishment from the world, I was left watching TV. Not just any TV. Gymnastics on TV. Gymnastics on NBC. Seriously. I would lie and say the remote was out of my reach, or that I broke both my legs. But no. I was just watching.

OK, God, not just watching. I was reacting. I flinched at mistakes. Called out the girls who looked creepy in eyeliner. Shuddered a bit at the distortions of bodies. Eeek.

It's like watching that early morning PBS woman in the leotard who does jumping jacks and weird stretches before Sesame Street (at least that's when it was aired in Toledo, when I was babysitting) -- You don't get up and do it. Just sit there and go "Wow, exercise. So that's what that is." God, I feel so weak and guilty.

2 comments:

Christi said...

Loved that old woman. i would watch her every morning before turning on Sesame street. There was another one on around that time too. I remember they all work side pony tails and had three little circular pedastles that they worked out on (indicating hard, intermediate, and easy levels). I love watching other people work out =)

Anonymous said...

Christi - I believe you are referring to Hooked on Aerobics! I used to watch that at my grandma's after Sesame Street. The one guy used to say "jumping jack push" but through his exertion it sounded like he was "jumping jack puss".

Who remembers Sit and Be Fit?